John A. Graham lectures regularly on topics relating to the history and revival of Georgian sacred music, and is writing a Ph.D. dissertation titled, Oral Polyphony: the Transcription and Transmission of Georgian Liturgical Chant.
Selected publications, editions, and my current CV are downloadable here:
- John A. Graham Curriculum Vitae, 2013
- "Without Parallel: Voice Crossing and Textual Rhythm in West-Georgian Chant," Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Orthodox Church Music. Joensuu Theological Center, Joensuu, Finland, (2013): 164-177
- “Ivliane Nikoladze: the Alternate Redacteur of the Georgian Heirmoi,” Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Traditional Polyphony. V. Sarajishvili State Conservatory Press, Tbilisi, Georgia, (2012): 425-446 (Georgian and English).
- “The Role of Memory in the Transmission of Georgian Chant,” Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Traditional Polyphony. V. Sarajishvili State Conservatory Press, Tbilisi, Georgia, (2010): 498-515 (Georgian and English).
- “Maxime Sharadze: Transcriptions and Publication in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Georgian Chant Preservation Movement,” Sacred Music Series: Issues in Musicology. V. Sarajishvili State Conservatory Press, Tbilisi, Georgia, (2007): 98-106 (Georgian).
- “You Are the Vineyard, Newly Blossomed: Contemporary Performance Aesthetics in Georgian Orthodox Chant,” Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Orthodox Church Music. Joensuu Theological Center, Joensuu, Finland, (2006): 256-266.
- Review: Funeral Chants from the Caucasus, 1991 documentary film by Hugo Zemp; reviewed by John A. Graham, in Ethnomusicology 53 (2), 2009
- "Bodbe Monastery, Keepers of the Chant," published by the Messenger, Tbilisi, Georgia, April 4th, 2006
- "An Adventure to Vashlovani State Park," 2003, published by VillageHarmony.org in 2006
TRANSLATION / EDITING
- Co-Editor, Kartuli Galoba [Georgian Chant]. Series ed. Malkhaz Erkvanidze, Chant Center of the Georgian Patriarchate
- Chant for the Paraclesis Services of the Holy Theotokos and our Lord Jesus Christ. Vol. VI, (2011)
- The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, Gelati and Shemokmedi Schools. Vol. V, (2009)
- The Lenten Triodion and Pentecostarian Chants. Vol. IV, (2006)
- Chants of the Twelve Movable and Immovable Feasts. 2nd Edition, Vol. II, (2008)
- Co-Editor, Kartuli Saeklesio Galoba, Shemokmedis Skola. 2nd Edition, ed. Davit Shugliashvili (from Artem Erkomaishvili’s Recordings). V. Sarajishvili State Conservatoire, Tbilisi, Georgia, (2006)